Tala is looking for an experienced, driven and talented researcher to lead design and user research for a platform that is opening financial access for the global middle class. You and your team will be responsible for ensuring we have the best understanding of our customers’ daily lives, attitudes, and behaviors. Your research will guide and support work across many teams--including product, credit, data science, and growth--and will be at the center of our mission to provide financial access, choice, and control. This role is part of the Product organization and reports to the Senior Group Product Manager.
- Enable innovative and rigorous product building through user research
- Based on company priorities, identify research opportunities and projectize them
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Data Analytics, Product, Data Science, Credit, and Marketing to deliver aligned research priorities and approaches
- Lead complex user research projects, designing and conducting high-value studies both in the field and remotely
- Package analysis into recommendations for product direction and iteration
- Within the product development life cycle, define and lead both exploratory research upfront, as well as evaluative research after ideation and releases
- Participate in guiding research of new frontier/expansion markets at Tala
- Coach people to excellent performance
- Directly manage one local market-based user researcher located in KE (possibly more as the company grows), providing regular coaching and feedback
- Coach two young Product Fellows based in int’l markets on user research techniques
- Coach other functional team members on basic user research techniques, so that they can leverage those skills for their own practices
- Build a scalable practice around international user research & empathy
- Create frameworks, toolkits and learning routines to evangelize and spread best practices in user research across Tala, especially as the company scales
- Help develop lightweight rituals for offices across continents to share local context and continually connect to have end-market empathy
- Leverage our extensive customer mobile data to pioneer new research techniques that help us understand our users at scale (in collaboration with Data Analytics)
Skills & Experience:
- Research expertise - You bring experience across the toolkit of user, design and market research methods including - user interviews, expert interviews, field observation, user surveys, diary study, concept testing, usability studies, qualitative A/B tests
- Detail-oriented - As a researcher, you are thorough and have a sense for even the most minute details. Quality matters to you.
- Versatile analyst - While your deep expertise is in qualitative research, you are also proficient with quantitative data, e.g. cutting survey questions in Excel.
- Project leader - You can manage complex (read: multinational, cross-functional) projects and drive the team to create deliverables that persuade stakeholders and company strategy. You align stakeholders from beginning to end.
- Master communicator - You can distill massive amounts of information down to key insights. Your presentations and verbal communications are top-notch. You communicate your process, evidence and results effectively across stakeholders.
- People management - You have experience managing direct reports and guiding them to superior growth and performance
- Comfortable with ambiguity - You can handle the ambiguities of being in a startup environment and prioritize accordingly
- Bonus - You have experience in emerging markets
- 4+ years experience as a User Researcher
- 2+ years experience managing direct reports
- Experience in user research for a startup, tech company, agency, or financial services company
- Advanced Degree in Human Computer Interaction, Human Centered Design, International Development, Social Anthropology, or something similar
We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Tala is a mobile technology and data science company that is working to deliver financial access, choice and control to underserved people around the world. Tala’s smartphone app instantly evaluates customers for credit using only the data on their devices and delivers customized loans in minutes.
Tala, formerly known as InVenture, is backed by IVP, Ribbit Capital, Lowercase Capital, Data Collective, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture and impact investors. In 2016, Fast Company ranked Tala, formerly known as InVenture, as one of its top 10 companies in Money, and Forbes named Tala as one of the top 50 FinTech companies in the world. Additionally, Tala’s work has been highlighted by the New York Times, the Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, TED, and Wired, among others.
No recruiters please. Only qualified applicants may contact this job poster.