We’re looking for a VP of Finance who will build out and manage the finance function as we scale. This is an executive-level role and will oversee accounting, financial reporting, budgeting, liquidity strategy and tax reporting and will report to our CEO. This person will be a seasoned leader with prior executive experience being on the executive team.
- Regularly assess organizational performance against both the annual budget and company’s long-term strategy for growth
- Develop financial business plans and forecasts
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the CEO/Investors and make actionable recommendations on strategy
- Assist in establishing yearly corporate objectives
- Oversee long-term budgetary planning and costs management in alignment with company’s strategic plan
- Development of short-term and long-term strategies for managing liquidity, with future funding rounds, debt facilities, new country launches and foreign exchange moves, among others, as key inputs
- Oversee capital markets strategy
- Optimization of company capital structure
- Serve as a member of the Executive Leadership Team
- Build and manage a team of accounting/finance/capital markets rockstars
- Represent the company to financial partners, including financial institutions, investors, outside executives, auditors, etc.
Financial Planning and Analysis
- Prepare and maintain regular financial planning reports; Monthly profit and loss forecast by country (vs. budget)
- Complete analysis of financial results; develop recommendations (strategic and tactical)
- Develop and execute analysis of various business initiatives (e.g., new country expansion, new product launches)
- Develop and maintain capital budget
- Assist in development of financial planning and analysis exercises/reports
- Prepare ad hoc analysis needed for the CEO, Board and Investors
- Ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems (Netsuite, Expensify, Bill.co, etc.)
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures across all countries
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy and usefulness of financial and management; oversee the preparation and communication of monthly and annual financial statements.
- Oversee audit process and proper filing of tax returns for all countries
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Oversee preparation of month-end, quarter-end and year-end financial statements
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger maintenance, balance sheet reconciliations and corporate/overhead cost allocation/transfer pricing
- Enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems
- Serve as final point of escalation for Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable issues
- 15+ years experience building and managing accounting/finance teams, with at least 5 years in an Executive role
- Previous experience in consumer credit or FinTech
- Experience leading a finance team through a late series round and/or going public
- Strong financial modeling, budgeting, valuation, financial analysis and deal structure experience
- Strong GAAP and financial reporting skills
- Experience managing multiple entities
- Experience with multi-currency accounting, ideally in emerging markets
- Familiarity with foreign exchange risks and mitigants
- Experience working in high-growth, dynamic environments with the ability to adapt to change and re-prioritize
- Familiarity with capital markets strategies
- CPA, CFA, or MBA
We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Tala is a mobile technology and data science company that is changing the way credit scoring and financial services work around the world. Tala’s smartphone app instantly evaluates customers for credit using only the data on their devices and delivers customized loans in minutes.
Tala, formerly known as InVenture, is backed by IVP, Ribbit Capital, Lowercase Capital, Data Collective, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture and impact investors. In 2016, Fast Company ranked Tala, formerly known as InVenture, as one of its top 10 companies in Money, and Forbes named Tala as one of the top 50 FinTech companies in the world. Tala is headquartered in Santa Monica with additional offices in Nairobi and Manila.
No recruiters please. Only qualified applicants may contact this job poster.